I recently emailed my Graphic Guru as i'm already struggling with the Final Major Project:
Hi Rose
I'm just starting my Final Major Project and could do with some help if you have time to spare? I got a really bad mark in the last module so need to do something amazing just to break even. I'm looking at cars and what type of people own what type of car and the history of that car etc etc. The trouble is i have no real idea where to start or how to research it. i feel like i'm going to end up drawing stereotypes that's been done a hundred times before. I really need to jump in and make a start but i find myself checking my emails or writing to-do lists instead.
Thanks
Gabby
She replied with:
Hi Gabby
Are you in college tomorrow morning I could come in and meet you and we could look at your work and the style you want to work in talk over different ways of tackling your project.
Do not be too disheartened you can pull back marks with your final project and perhaps your dissatation/journal.
My marks were not too good in the second year and I thought Ian had marked me low in the first part of the final year but I pulled it back on the final project and dissatation and got a 1st so it can be done. I look back and think if I had not had bad marks I might have become complacent and not done as well on the final project.
When I first read your email I thought about Saul Steinberg I do not know if you like his work?
Please give me a ring if you want to my number is below.
Rose
Unfortunately i didn't get the email in time to see her in person. However her reply was a little uplifting, in a horrible way it was nice to know that someone else had struggled so late on in the course and pulled through to become a professional. I am also currently reading a book from the library called How to be an Illustrator. I found it realy helpful because it made me think about the future and how to get where i want to be, rather than moping about in a self obssessed stupor about a bad mark.I still havent completely got my head back in the game but Rose and the book have helped me on the way. I'm now thinking of making a series of caricatures of people and their cars, which could then turn into a book or exhibition, i could also make posters for the exhibition. But at the moment i need to focus on my drawings, i'll find something to do with them later.
She later added:
Hi Gabby
You are not burdening me, I think this is the sort of situation that Ian and Gary wanted us to help you with. I too sometimes get stuck on one idea and struggle to come up with 3 ideas which is what art editors tend to want. I still look at all the different books I have collected over the years, not to copy because that doesn't get you anywhere but to be inspired by their mark making or the colour palette they use.
You may have already thought of this and tried it out.... I was thinking about you doing your lovely hand drawn work in dry point printing , etching or even mono printing. I spoke to a printer a couple of weeks ago and when she has drawn a plate she then works in the oil inks and then experiments by dropping white spirit onto it and puts through the press and sees what happens. I would like to have a go at this myself.
I have attached two image one from one of my Paul Klee books. I know you do not like the single line work but what I like about this are the random pressure marks.
The Ericailcane one I thought might make you think about possible -animal as your car owners
I think what I am trying to say is take your idea and perhaps just experiment and keep an open mind.
As I have possibly said before if my advise is not the way you want to go please ignore it.
Rose
P.S. Do not hesitate to ring me as I have just finished a commission and do not have anything in the pipeline.
No comments:
Post a Comment