I visited Chatsworth Christmas Market and there was two art stalls, one was ful of photos of working dogs but the Tiffany Twisted one had more interesting paintings. As it was a gallery stall rather than a specific artist there was a variety of sizes, styles and prices. I am trying to research exhibitions so i have a better idea or what to do when i want myown so i emailed Mark the Director to ask a few questions long the lines of 'was it worth it?'. He replied very quickly and with more financial details than i expected:
From: info@tiffany-twisted.com
To: flyingcircus32@hotmail.co.uk
Subject: Re: Chatsworth Christmas Market
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:25:00 +0000
Hi Gabby
This was my first show, I have a gallery in Glossop and I am attempting to diversify, utilising different marketing tactics.
The cost to exhibit at Chatsworth was £774 for six days. I speculated that Chatsworth might attract a customer base with an appetite for limited edition art and sculpture, I was wrong. The footfall over the six days was excellent but sales were poor. My stock ranged from £100 t0 £380 retail and I heard many people commenting on how they thought it was expensive, that said, I did sell the piece at £380.
Overall I made a very modest profit but I don't even dare to work out what my hourly rate would be and it was bloody hard work!!
The positive side is that about 300 of my business cards went and the number of hits on my website has increased, if those hits translate to sales that would equal success. I don't think that I will exhibit at the Christmas Market again, I anticipate that my next venture will be to a Fine Art Fair or similar, something a little more niche, although I understand that costs are significantly higher.
Hope this mini de-brief has helped you.
Good Luck!
Regards
Mark R
I have replied and asked for a portfolio viewing.
No comments:
Post a Comment