Monday, 23 April 2012
Hopes, Fears and Opportunities (Part 2)
Hopes:
- I’m hoping to get signed with an agency. I had seriously thought about going it alone but the more i look into the business side of it the scarier it is. The agent would look after all the contracts and invoices.
- I’m also hoping to do illustrations part time. I have a short attention span and worry that if i was doing one thing full time i might et bored of it. I want to draw but i also want to do other things with my life, therefore part time would suit me.
- I really hope i can learn quickly too. College has done its best to prepare us for the ‘real world’, but deep down we all know we’re in a bubble. The only real way to learn is to get out there. I need to learn what standard of finish is acceptable and how to take constant criticism. It’s ok in small doses but i don’t know how i would react to a client constantly changing the smallest details.
Fears:
- I’m worried that i will send my work out to people and if no-one replies to me i’ll just give up. I don’t have massive sticking power, I’ll certainly try but i worry i’ll get too down-hearted.
- There is also a fear that i don’t get my business head on soon enough and i get taken for a ride.
- I get told that, basically, i don’t know what looks good and what doesn’t. And to an extent i agree, I’m worried i won’t learn quick enough – i should know by now. I’m on my own now, no more ideas or tutorials from Ian.
Opportunities:
- I have found a popular bar in the centre of Sheffield which exhibits your work for free, which is always handy.
- There are a couple of artists i know who live near my mum and have regular exhibitions, i have been invited to join them at some point.
- A church hall in the city centre holds regular antique and arts fares with a handful of artists. And at just £30 a stall i’d like to give it a go.
- There is always the potential to make a collective with friends from college. I also have a family friend in France who is a graphic designer and has spoken about forming a collective.
- I have had my work in a koi magazine and am now friendly with them, every now and then i send them some work to be published. I also have some work for sale in a shop in Hull, if all goes well it could become a regular thing.
Progress:
- I think this Final Major Project has seen me do better research, development and have stronger ideas. Though i still need help from Ian to turn a good idea into a good image.
- I have moved away from the sofa in front of the TV lately. Normally when i’m stuck i sit staring at the paper then allow myself to get distracted by the TV, but this time i took my work outside and looked through a reference book until an idea came to me.
- I’ve also tried to be less controlled when it comes to solid outlines and colouring in.
- I’ve wanted to paint on hardboard for a while but i’ve always found a reason to resort back to paper, this time not only have i used hardboard but i’ve also painted my designs onto t-shirts; which is a very different experience.
Plans:
- After college i plan to show my work in a bar in Sheffield for a month as it’s free.
- I could also have an exhibition with friends.
- I plan on sending my work out to plenty of agencies and directors to get some initial work in. It would be nice to have some published work in my portfolio.
- I also plan on getting a job as soon as possible, a job in the design or printing industry would be an advantage.
- I’d like to do a wildlife series to have printed as cards to sell.
- For a long time now i’ve wanted to do a painting for a charity to sell, preferably the RSPCA. Maybe after college i’ll be under a bit less stress and have a bit more time to do this.
- The good thing about illustration is that i can always come back to it later on. Unlike a P.E. teacher who needs to be young and fit, i could come back to illustration, whether that’s in a few years or 40 years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment