Monday, 8 November 2010

Poppy Painting


I had a bit of spare time on my hands during the group project so decided to do some personal work. I had recently been looking at the work of Tiago Hoisel and so wanted to caricature something other than a human. The choice was obvious, my over-active Spaniel cross Poppy. It was perfect, i knew her personality, i had plenty of pictures for reference and she had ther perfect obsession for humour - chasing squirrels. While i was painting it i had my previous post of Ronald Searle's work in mind, i wanted restricted/softer colours and plenty of detail in the context. It would have been so easy for me to just have painted Poppy jumping over a log chasing a squirrel. But i kept telling myself to add more detail and make it more interesting with a context and other things going on, hense the birds. I don't think it's perfect but i'm very happy with it because i feel like it was a big stepping stone. Pushing myself to draw more than just the subject and managing to draw stylised eyes without making them look cartoony.

No comments:

Post a Comment