Thursday, 9 September 2010

Caricatures



I took a book out of the library called 'Celebrity Caricatures in America' by Wendy Wick Reaves. I've always liked caricatures because it isn't just art for the sake of art, it's purpose is to make you laugh; at the expense of the subject. Yet there is clear talent behind them, it's like a grown up cartoon. I chose this image because it is similar to my visual language, though i wouldn't personally call this a caricature as the figures aren't distorted or elements emphasised. The mains reason i chose this is due to Jo and I's conversation about 'Sense of Place'. I tend to just draw the subject with no suggestion as to context. I also chose it because of hte amazing hair detail, it's got so much texture without sacrificing contrast. The women look so beautiful and dainty, and yet they have enormous power over the man.



This is one of the Marx Brothers by Al Hirschfeld. It's a college but the face is the part i'm interested in. My favourite aspect is the eye, i can't stop looking at it. The white of the eye is so bright and pure, and the shading so gentle and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment