Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Contacting part 1 companies

I emailed 3 Sheffield wood cutting and etching companies to find out what they needed from me to get my coaster come business card cut and etched. I felt like i was stuck in the middle some what, i didn't know what i could and couldn't draw and they couldn't tell me what they could and couldn't cut without an image from me. So i sent these basic questions:
Hi
I'm wanting a wooden coaster made in the shape of a car, roughly 10cm by 20cm. I would just like to know a few things please:
- How much will it cost?
- What format would you like it in?
- and can you laser/engrave with different depths or not?

Thank you for your time, this is my first time doing this so please let me know if i've forgotten to tell you something important.

Gabby


Unfortunately the return email was not particularly helpful:
Hi Gabby
Many thanks for your enquiry.
we can laser cut and engrave onto wooden products, Is this a single item you require?
also do you know what type of wood etc?
are you based locally?

Best regards
Jon

Jon Fields
Director
Laser-4 Ltd
Units 5 & 7
92 Harwood Street
Sheffield

S2 4SE


I decided that this was the kind of thing that happens much easier face to face. So yesterday i went to visit Laser 4 and all my questions were answered within five minutes. I now know what format he needs it in to make things go quicker, how to give it some depth and texture and how much it will cost. Now i just need to get the finished thing done in Illustrator saved as an .ai file then go in on Wednesday or Thursday, it will then take a few days depending on how busy they are and how detailed my final car is.

No comments:

Post a Comment